The Graphic Imaging–Sublimation and Screen Printing Technology competitions each consisted of eight testing stations, judged and vetted by members and staff to align with standard program curriculums.
“SGIA is proud to be involved at the level it is with this effort in cultivating the future workforce,” said Johnny Shell, Vice President, Print Technology & Training, SGIA, who is in his fourth year as an NLSC chairman. “It’s an important role for the association to play as a conduit to not only bring in the industry for judging and materials, but bringing industry, teachers and students together.”
SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce. NLSC participants are all state winners representing today’s outstanding career and technical education students. The more than 100 competitions are designed to test participants in distinct, hands-on, technical trades, including masonry, aircraft maintenance, automobile repair, public speaking, cosmetology and more. SGIA has been involved with the competition since 2012.
"It was truly a great experience to judge so many high-level students looking to join the workforce in America,” said judge Syd Northup, Inkjet Division Manager, Gans Ink and Supply. “My faith in the future was completely restored by all these young adults."
Results — Graphics Imaging–Sublimation
- First: Mattie Egly, Lawrence County High School, Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
- Second: Colby Henson, Sikeston Career & Technology Center, Sikeston, Missouri
- Third: Mardeliz Flores, Orange Technical College – Mid-Florida Campus, Orlando, Florida
- First: Sandra Castaneda, Salt Lake Community College, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Second: Samantha Killen, Illinois Central College, East Peoria, Illinois
- Third: Christopher Waldun, Augusta Technical College, Augusta, Georgia
Results — Screen Printing Technology
- First: Makayla Buscher, Nichols Career Center, Jefferson City, Missouri
- Second: Keiller Middlebrook, Grover Cleveland High School, Reseda, California
- Third: Gabe Waldrup, S & W Washtenaw Consortium, Saline, Michigan
- First: Kyler Kelsch, Dixie State University, Saint George, Utah
- Second: James Sullivan, Illinois Central College, East Peoria, Illinois
- Third: Cynthia Lainez, Catawba Valley Community College, Hickory, North Carolina
Judges — Graphics Imaging–Sublimation
- Henry Coeme, HIX Corporation
- David Gross, Conde Systems Inc.
- Aaron Montgomery, Pic the Gift
- Syd Northup, Gans Ink & Supply
- Erin Nuss, SGIA
- Ray Weiss, SGIA
Judges — Screen Printing Technology
- Betty Bassett, Classic Designs Screen Printing
- Brett Bowden, Printed Threads
- Alan Howe, Saati Americas Corp.
- Pierre Jamnicky, Blue Moon Promotional Inc.
- Matthew Marcotte, T&J Printing Supply
- Donnie Mullens, Fruit of the Loom Inc.
- James Ortolani, PolyOne Corporation
- Lon Winters, Print This/GraphicElephants.com
- Aaron Montgomery of 2 Regular Guys Podcast
- Atkinson Consulting
- BBC Industries Inc.
- Beaver Paper & Graphic Media Inc.
- Conde Systems Inc.
- Easiway Systems Inc.
- Epson America Inc.
- Fruit of the Loom Inc.
- N. Glantz & Son
- Great Dane Graphics
- HIX Corporation
- Newman Roller Frames mfg. by Stretch Devices
- PolyOne Corporation
- Saati Americas Corp.
- Shur-Loc Fabric System
- The M&R Companies
- Wasatch Computer Technologies
For further information Specialty Graphic Imaging Association (SGIA), please visit www.sgia.org.